If you are renovating a space and find a small amount of mold behind a wall or under the flooring, you will want to kill and remove the mold to prevent it from spreading. However, typically harsh chemicals, such as bleach, are used to remove mold. These chemicals can irritate some people and are not great for the environment. Fortunately, there are a few ways to remove mold without harsh chemicals. Here are a few of the methods for removing mold yourself without the use of harsh chemicals.
Baking soda is a great natural way to kill mold and neutralize the smells associated with mold. Anytime you are working with mold, wear a face mask so you don't inhale the spores. Follow these steps to kill mold with baking soda:
- Add 1/4 tablespoon to a half cup of warm water in a spray bottle. Shake or swirl the water until the baking soda has dissolved.
- Spray the moldy area with the solution and then use a sponge or scrubbing brush to scrub the spores away.
- Once the mold has been removed, spray the area with the solution again to kill anything you may be unable to see and allow the surface to completely air dry before covering it back up or placing anything on top of it.
Vinegar is another natural way to kill mold. It is acidic, which is why it is effective. Follow these steps to remove mold from your home with vinegar:
- Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle. Do not dilute it with water.
- Spray the moldy area with the vinegar. Scrub the mold away with a sponge or scrubbing brush.
- Spray the area once the spores are removed and allow the vinegar to sit on the surface for 30 minutes.
- If the smell of vinegar bothers you, dampen a soft cloth in water and wipe the surface down to remove the vinegar. If not, allow the surface to air dry with the vinegar on it for the best results.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which help it to remove mold and sanitize the surface you are cleaning. Follow these steps to remove mold with tea tree oil:
- Combine two teaspoons of undiluted tea tree oil with two cups warm water in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle to combine the mixture.
- Spray the solution on the moldy area and allow it to sit for an hour.
- Scrub any mold and mildew away after the solution has sat on the surface for an hour.
- After all of the mold and mildew has been removed, spray the surface again with tea tree oil and allow it to air dry.
Mold can be challenging to remove. If there are several moldy areas in your home, the affected area is large, or home removal methods do not work, you may need professional mold removal services, such as SLC Environmental. This helps to ensure the mold is properly removed and does not spread in your home. Contact a mold removal company if you have mold in your home that keeps coming back after you remove it or is affecting a large area in your home.